Sir – I guess that it is time for those who have benefited from the good work of the NHS to have their say.

I have just endured a run of bad health that you only read about other people having.

I have been admitted to hospital four times in quick succession; twice with life-threatening conditions.

I was treated in the Churchill and John Radcliffe in Oxford and at the Horton in Banbury twice.

The careful and skilful assessment of my symptoms by the GP under the new out-of-hours call-out system was impressive.

The ambulance crews on arrival were, without exception, calming and adept at relieving my symptoms.

On arrival at A&E and the Emergency Assessment Unit, I received a speedy and accurate diagnosis.

On each of the wards I stayed in I received nothing but dedicated and careful nursing.

I stayed on Laburnum Ward at the Horton on two separate occasions and was impressed, not only with the cleanliness, but mostly with the nurses and support staff, who worked extremely long hours, heading towards exhaustion and illness.

My NHS aftercare since being home has been equally impressive.

Bless them all.

Douglas Arthur McCallum, Marlborough Place, Charlbury