Sir – All sorts of schemes, ranging from expensive to madcap, have been announced by the Conservatives, and more promises will doubtless be made in the run-up to the local and general elections in May.

While tunnels under Stonehenge and Oxford High Street feature, there is no mention of action on the blight to West Oxfordshire which is the A40.

A fortnight ago students from secondary schools across the district presented ideas to me and other councillors for improving lives and council services (last week’s Witney Gazette).

Two teams spoke eloquently of ways to improve local transport, and others on ways to reconnect local councils and government to the priorities of people they serve.

If we were to follow this sound advice we would resolve to act on the A40: to reduce demand, increase capacity and provide alternatives to the commute thousands dread every day.

It is easy to regard hours spent on the A40, A44 and neighbouring routes as an inconvenience if you are just a visitor or weekender.

However, the constant jams for eight hours a day are a blight on family life and one of the biggest stresses local people and businesses face.

I have set up a survey on myenvolve.com to document the damage jams cause, and will use this to force action from our Conservative MPs and councils.

Empty announcements and wacky schemes are not enough – we need a concerted and long-term plan, followed by decisive action to end A40 congestion.

I will lead that plan and be answerable for it if I am elected as an MP.

Duncan Enright, town and district councillor Witney East ward, Labour Party Prospective Parliamentary Candidate for Witney