Sir – This is an open letter to David Cameron. I request in the strongest possible terms, that you attend the second reading of the Climate Change Bill in the House of Commons (date to be announced) as I am sure you will stand up in Parliament to speak on behalf of your constituents – not just the ones who own property, but all of us who want to hand future generations a planet which has not been ruined.

I understand you will be working to ensure we all have a future – and that we attain the climate change commitments we have made, instead of acting in direct opposition of them.

Pretending that this could be ‘on the way’ to renewable energy is like an alcoholic saying ‘on my way to sobriety I’m going to the pub’. Fossil fuels are not ‘bridge’ fuels - methane emissions data shows drilling and pipelines always cause leakage of extremely damaging greenhouse gases, - they are a gangplank.

Even if leaks could be controlled, ‘maximising recovery of oil and gas’ necessarily inhibits investment in renewable energy and is a shockingly short-sighted strategy for the 21st century – especially when the focus is on ‘economic recovery’ ie profit before proper regulation.

That the Infrastructure Bill plans to make it the ‘principal strategy’ and actually would make extraction of oil and gas a legal requirement is almost incomprehensible - perhaps you haven’t understood, I hope you have. I expect this insidious legislation was written by the oil and gas lobbying groups.

Wealth in the UK, so linked to the Empire and industrial revolution was made at the expense of other parts of our planet. We have played a significant part of a massive worldwide environmental mess. Unthinking ‘progress’ is part of our heritage and MPs cannot ignore the UK’s particular responsibility any longer.

To make law ‘maximising recovery’ of oil and gas now, at this critical point in the 21st century, and in this manner shows utter contempt not only for UK landowners and caring citizens, but also, because of the climate change implications. It shows utter contempt for all other members of the planet and all future generations.

As you did not write the Bill, you are not currently to blame – but it will soon become clear where you stand. So I ask you, vote against it.

Adeyinka Lawal, Marlborough Place, Eynsham