SIR – I was interested to see (August 19) the dissension between the Corn Exchange and Adrian Hewitt, whose company put on the excellent Accidental Death of an Anarchist recently.

I cannot comment on the contract between Mr Hewitt and the Town Council, but I do support two of his observations.

First, as I’d missed the “grand opening” I had been looking forward to seeing the renovated building, but when we arrived at the Corn Exchange for the performance I was struck by the frankly scruffy state of the foyer, with furniture piled in a corner. The play would have been an ideal opportunity to show off the renovations to a wider public; instead, the first impression was unprofessional and unwelcoming.

Second, I realised that I’d seen almost no notices about the play in the town, and none outside the Corn Exchange itself. I myself would not have known that the play was on if I had not read about it in a circulated magazine.

If a professional company is putting on an acclaimed play in your beautifully-renovated venue, why on earth, oh council for whom we vote, do you apparently not allow it to be advertised outside the venue?

Both of these factors must be deterrents to potential future hirers. We need to encourage and welcome the use of the Corn Exchange, not litter the path with obstacles.

Katy Jennison
New Yatt Road
Witney