Sir – I am interested in recent correspondence about the Corn Exchange.

I had also missed the “grand opening” and the recent play because I’d seen no publicity for either event.

Please persuade the town council to explain through your pages an explanation of what is happening at the Exchange?

They don’t seem capable of communicating with us in any other way!

The exterior now looks wonderful complete with pricey hanging baskets, but why is there no sign of the cultural centre for the arts and entertainment we were promised? Why does the interior look so drab? Why the dreary office type furniture we can glimpse through the windows? Who was responsible for spending public money on such ill-chosen decoration?

Admittedly, the weather in August has been patchy this year, but we had so much glorious sunshine in the earlier months – surely one of the local catering firms would have been pleased to take over the kitchen and have a bistro service in the foyer and outside on the patio, as at the excellent Newbury Exchange? What a waste of the opportunity to start making a profit!

Both the Newbury and the Chipping Norton centres should have been copied for Witney – they are both beautifully presented in well designed programmes – cafeterias, art and craft exhibitions, arthouse cinema shows (the local cinema here only shows the blockbuster movies and the small cinema shows in Chipping Norton and Newbury are always sold out).

There are theatre shows and wonderful Christmas pantomimes that are so good they are even reviewed in the national newspapers.

Both are lovely “buzzy” and well used popular centres for the towns – as ours should be.

The council should have a good look at what these other venues are doing and get started on using this beautiful building for the enjoyment of us all – there is no other comparable venue for these pursuits in Witney and it needs to start paying it’s way.

What is the hold-up or is it being used just for meetings for privileged groups by invitation only?

These questions must be answered – and promptly.

The present situation is an utter disgrace and the council is responsible for it.

Why the appalling lethargy?

Answers please – and quickly!

Jan Rae
Riverside Gardens
Witney