Get involved: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting 'OXFORD NEWS' to 80360 or email
Oxfordshire firefighters launch No Smoking Day
9:30am Wednesday 13th March 2013 in News
STUB them out for good and stop Oxfordshire’s biggest house fire killer, firefighters urged smokers last night.
Launching No Smoking Day today, Oxfordshire firefighters said careless disposal of cigarettes kills more people in house fires in Oxfordshire than anything else.
New figures show that in the last six years 18 people in Oxfordshire lost their lives in house fires with seven related to smoking. The fire and rescue service attended two fatal blazes in a single week in February both thought to have been caused by cigarettes.
On February 28, Anne Pickett, 88, of St Hugh’s Close, Banbury, died in a blaze, and days earlier mum-of-three Christine Fullwood, 62, died at her home in Thame.
Stuart Garner, pictured, Oxfordshire County Council’s fire and rescue service risk reduction manager, said: “When extinguishing cigarettes always make sure they are put out, right out. Never leave lit cigarettes, cigars or pipes unattended and always use a proper ashtray.”
No Smoking Day was established in 1983 to support smokers who want to quit by highlighting sources of help available.