Get involved: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting 'OXFORD NEWS' to 80360 or email
‘That’s Oxford’ TV boss in High Court over contract
6:30am Thursday 6th March 2014 in News
A TV executive who has produced a string of award-winning shows, is involved in a legal battle with soon-to-launch local channel That’s Oxford.
Peter Williams has accused the channel’s founder director Daniel Cass of reneging on a promise to make him chairman of That’s Oxford, a channel backed by Childline founder and TV presenter Esther Rantzen.
In a High Court claim, Mr Williams says Mr Cass promised him he would be chairman and executive director of the Oxford Local TV division, for which he would be paid.
But it is alleged that on the day That’s Oxford put in its bid for a local TV licence, Mr Cass told him his services were no longer required.
Mr Williams, who was awarded an MBE for services to the arts and television in 2007, has accused Mr Cass of breach of contract.
Mr Cass, 38, whose companies have won television licences in Oxford and Southampton, and Mr Williams had planned a network of local television stations in the South East, according to a High Court writ.
Now Mr Williams is demanding £100,000, to cover the cost of his £20,000 salary over the five years that he expected for his work as director.
Mr Williams of Faversham, Kent, is suing Mr Cass, Ultra Digital, That’s Media, and That’s Oxford and also wants £12,250 for his work.
Mr Williams has worked on factual shows for the BBC, ITV, C4, and other broadcasters.
Mr Cass, of Harrow, Middlesex, was previously chief executive of Six TV, which broadcast across Oxford but went off air in 2009 after 10 years.