Food bank will help struggling families to cope

Witney Gazette: HELP: Carterton mayor Lynn Little with the first public donation of food to the food bank Buy this photo HELP: Carterton mayor Lynn Little with the first public donation of food to the food bank

WEST Oxfordshire now has a second food bank to help struggling families make ends meet.

Carterton mayor Lynn Little helped set up the service which she says could help about 50 families in the town.

The food bank opened on Monday at the Pavilion in Alvescot Road Recreation Ground. It is the second in the district – Prime Minister David Cameron’s constituency – after one was set up in Witney about two years ago.

Mrs Little said: “There have been about 50 families who are travelling to Witney to use the food bank and I just wanted to do something which would help them not have to go so far for help. This is a temporary solution as this location is just for the time being.

“I have had a lot of support from our county councillors.

“This is something for the community of Carterton. We want to be able to help people learn to manage their budget, as that can often be the reason behind people getting into difficulties.”

Comments (9)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:38am Wed 2 Apr 14

Quentin Walker says...

Food and shelter are two of the main elements of human survival. With the benefits system we have in place, I find it difficult to believe in the necessity for food banks. Could it be a lack of prioritisation of spending by the recipients?
Food and shelter are two of the main elements of human survival. With the benefits system we have in place, I find it difficult to believe in the necessity for food banks. Could it be a lack of prioritisation of spending by the recipients? Quentin Walker
  • Score: -1

10:52am Wed 2 Apr 14

Oxonian says...

Quentin Walker wrote:
Food and shelter are two of the main elements of human survival. With the benefits system we have in place, I find it difficult to believe in the necessity for food banks. Could it be a lack of prioritisation of spending by the recipients?
What an insensitive post!

The inadequate benefits system that Quentin Walker praises is one of the reasons why food banks are needed: because many people cannot afford to pay for food as well as heating, rent, council tax, etc.
[quote][p][bold]Quentin Walker[/bold] wrote: Food and shelter are two of the main elements of human survival. With the benefits system we have in place, I find it difficult to believe in the necessity for food banks. Could it be a lack of prioritisation of spending by the recipients?[/p][/quote]What an insensitive post! The inadequate benefits system that Quentin Walker praises is one of the reasons why food banks are needed: because many people cannot afford to pay for food as well as heating, rent, council tax, etc. Oxonian
  • Score: 0

11:07am Wed 2 Apr 14

Quentin Walker says...

Oxonian wrote:
Quentin Walker wrote:
Food and shelter are two of the main elements of human survival. With the benefits system we have in place, I find it difficult to believe in the necessity for food banks. Could it be a lack of prioritisation of spending by the recipients?
What an insensitive post!

The inadequate benefits system that Quentin Walker praises is one of the reasons why food banks are needed: because many people cannot afford to pay for food as well as heating, rent, council tax, etc.
I did not praise nor decry the benefits system.

People on benefits receive financial help for all the expenses you quote.

My point is that taking into account this assistance, why can they not afford food?
[quote][p][bold]Oxonian[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Quentin Walker[/bold] wrote: Food and shelter are two of the main elements of human survival. With the benefits system we have in place, I find it difficult to believe in the necessity for food banks. Could it be a lack of prioritisation of spending by the recipients?[/p][/quote]What an insensitive post! The inadequate benefits system that Quentin Walker praises is one of the reasons why food banks are needed: because many people cannot afford to pay for food as well as heating, rent, council tax, etc.[/p][/quote]I did not praise nor decry the benefits system. People on benefits receive financial help for all the expenses you quote. My point is that taking into account this assistance, why can they not afford food? Quentin Walker
  • Score: -1

11:56am Wed 2 Apr 14

the wizard says...

Here we are in the Prime Ministers constituency and we have food banks. Why is that you may well wonder. Well since Cameron has been in Office the poor have been hit hardest to benefit tax relief to the more wealthy. Again the cost of living has soared, fuel bills have gone up and yet pro rata benefits have not risen sufficiently to cover cost increases.
When our PM quotes to the horror of many the benefits bill, he fails to point out that it is mostly made up from STATE PENSION . The actual benefits paid out separate to the pension are not as much as most people think.
Even after the second world war we did not have food banks popping up like they are now. Funny how we continue to give money to foreign powers who have nuclear capability, a space programme and abundant natural resources and yet we don't feed our own, we have food banks like hand outs in the third world, and right under the nose of the PM. A caring government, sorry , more like one of repression.
Here we are in the Prime Ministers constituency and we have food banks. Why is that you may well wonder. Well since Cameron has been in Office the poor have been hit hardest to benefit tax relief to the more wealthy. Again the cost of living has soared, fuel bills have gone up and yet pro rata benefits have not risen sufficiently to cover cost increases. When our PM quotes to the horror of many the benefits bill, he fails to point out that it is mostly made up from STATE PENSION . The actual benefits paid out separate to the pension are not as much as most people think. Even after the second world war we did not have food banks popping up like they are now. Funny how we continue to give money to foreign powers who have nuclear capability, a space programme and abundant natural resources and yet we don't feed our own, we have food banks like hand outs in the third world, and right under the nose of the PM. A caring government, sorry , more like one of repression. the wizard
  • Score: 0

12:52pm Wed 2 Apr 14

yabbadabbadoo256 says...

Quentin Walker wrote:
Oxonian wrote:
Quentin Walker wrote:
Food and shelter are two of the main elements of human survival. With the benefits system we have in place, I find it difficult to believe in the necessity for food banks. Could it be a lack of prioritisation of spending by the recipients?
What an insensitive post!

The inadequate benefits system that Quentin Walker praises is one of the reasons why food banks are needed: because many people cannot afford to pay for food as well as heating, rent, council tax, etc.
I did not praise nor decry the benefits system.

People on benefits receive financial help for all the expenses you quote.

My point is that taking into account this assistance, why can they not afford food?
the old using benefits money for flat screen tv's, bluray players, booze fags and playstations argument..

I agree partially with what you say
[quote][p][bold]Quentin Walker[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Oxonian[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Quentin Walker[/bold] wrote: Food and shelter are two of the main elements of human survival. With the benefits system we have in place, I find it difficult to believe in the necessity for food banks. Could it be a lack of prioritisation of spending by the recipients?[/p][/quote]What an insensitive post! The inadequate benefits system that Quentin Walker praises is one of the reasons why food banks are needed: because many people cannot afford to pay for food as well as heating, rent, council tax, etc.[/p][/quote]I did not praise nor decry the benefits system. People on benefits receive financial help for all the expenses you quote. My point is that taking into account this assistance, why can they not afford food?[/p][/quote]the old using benefits money for flat screen tv's, bluray players, booze fags and playstations argument.. I agree partially with what you say yabbadabbadoo256
  • Score: 1

1:35pm Wed 2 Apr 14

Oxonian says...

Quentin Walker says: "People on benefits receive financial help for all the expenses you quote. My point is that taking into account this assistance, why can they not afford food?"

I'd have thought that the answer is obvious: the benefits are often not enough to cover all the basic needs of the poor, so they have to resort to food banks. Incidentally, they can only get assistance from food banks if they have a recommendation from some authority, which will have assessed if they are in genuine need.

Basically, Quentin, I would ask you to have compassion for those who are worse off than you probably are.
Quentin Walker says: "People on benefits receive financial help for all the expenses you quote. My point is that taking into account this assistance, why can they not afford food?" I'd have thought that the answer is obvious: the benefits are often not enough to cover all the basic needs of the poor, so they have to resort to food banks. Incidentally, they can only get assistance from food banks if they have a recommendation from some authority, which will have assessed if they are in genuine need. Basically, Quentin, I would ask you to have compassion for those who are worse off than you probably are. Oxonian
  • Score: 0

2:57pm Wed 2 Apr 14

Andrew:Oxford says...

the wizard wrote:
Here we are in the Prime Ministers constituency and we have food banks. Why is that you may well wonder. Well since Cameron has been in Office the poor have been hit hardest to benefit tax relief to the more wealthy. Again the cost of living has soared, fuel bills have gone up and yet pro rata benefits have not risen sufficiently to cover cost increases.
When our PM quotes to the horror of many the benefits bill, he fails to point out that it is mostly made up from STATE PENSION . The actual benefits paid out separate to the pension are not as much as most people think.
Even after the second world war we did not have food banks popping up like they are now. Funny how we continue to give money to foreign powers who have nuclear capability, a space programme and abundant natural resources and yet we don't feed our own, we have food banks like hand outs in the third world, and right under the nose of the PM. A caring government, sorry , more like one of repression.
Seems to be a fairly common concept. Fife wasn't without foodbanks throughout the leadership of Gordon Brown.

What really surprises me is that some of the "lefty" organisations such as "The Guardian" or "Unite" don't publish a weekly eat for £1 a day diet planner.

Breakfast and lunch is fairly easy. Porridge for breakfast and home-made vegetable soup for lunch. Total cost about 25p. For dinner, there must be a chef out there who can prepare a low-sodium, low fat, tasty and filling dinner for 75p
[quote][p][bold]the wizard[/bold] wrote: Here we are in the Prime Ministers constituency and we have food banks. Why is that you may well wonder. Well since Cameron has been in Office the poor have been hit hardest to benefit tax relief to the more wealthy. Again the cost of living has soared, fuel bills have gone up and yet pro rata benefits have not risen sufficiently to cover cost increases. When our PM quotes to the horror of many the benefits bill, he fails to point out that it is mostly made up from STATE PENSION . The actual benefits paid out separate to the pension are not as much as most people think. Even after the second world war we did not have food banks popping up like they are now. Funny how we continue to give money to foreign powers who have nuclear capability, a space programme and abundant natural resources and yet we don't feed our own, we have food banks like hand outs in the third world, and right under the nose of the PM. A caring government, sorry , more like one of repression.[/p][/quote]Seems to be a fairly common concept. Fife wasn't without foodbanks throughout the leadership of Gordon Brown. What really surprises me is that some of the "lefty" organisations such as "The Guardian" or "Unite" don't publish a weekly eat for £1 a day diet planner. Breakfast and lunch is fairly easy. Porridge for breakfast and home-made vegetable soup for lunch. Total cost about 25p. For dinner, there must be a chef out there who can prepare a low-sodium, low fat, tasty and filling dinner for 75p Andrew:Oxford
  • Score: -2

3:16pm Sat 26 Apr 14

pompeyfaith says...

Quentin Walker wrote:
Oxonian wrote:
Quentin Walker wrote:
Food and shelter are two of the main elements of human survival. With the benefits system we have in place, I find it difficult to believe in the necessity for food banks. Could it be a lack of prioritisation of spending by the recipients?
What an insensitive post!

The inadequate benefits system that Quentin Walker praises is one of the reasons why food banks are needed: because many people cannot afford to pay for food as well as heating, rent, council tax, etc.
I did not praise nor decry the benefits system.

People on benefits receive financial help for all the expenses you quote.

My point is that taking into account this assistance, why can they not afford food?
What assistance? wise up find out the truth because assistance is being cut wholesale leading to many many tragic articles in the press.
[quote][p][bold]Quentin Walker[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Oxonian[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Quentin Walker[/bold] wrote: Food and shelter are two of the main elements of human survival. With the benefits system we have in place, I find it difficult to believe in the necessity for food banks. Could it be a lack of prioritisation of spending by the recipients?[/p][/quote]What an insensitive post! The inadequate benefits system that Quentin Walker praises is one of the reasons why food banks are needed: because many people cannot afford to pay for food as well as heating, rent, council tax, etc.[/p][/quote]I did not praise nor decry the benefits system. People on benefits receive financial help for all the expenses you quote. My point is that taking into account this assistance, why can they not afford food?[/p][/quote]What assistance? wise up find out the truth because assistance is being cut wholesale leading to many many tragic articles in the press. pompeyfaith
  • Score: 0

3:27pm Sat 26 Apr 14

pompeyfaith says...

yabbadabbadoo256 wrote:
Quentin Walker wrote:
Oxonian wrote:
Quentin Walker wrote:
Food and shelter are two of the main elements of human survival. With the benefits system we have in place, I find it difficult to believe in the necessity for food banks. Could it be a lack of prioritisation of spending by the recipients?
What an insensitive post!

The inadequate benefits system that Quentin Walker praises is one of the reasons why food banks are needed: because many people cannot afford to pay for food as well as heating, rent, council tax, etc.
I did not praise nor decry the benefits system.

People on benefits receive financial help for all the expenses you quote.

My point is that taking into account this assistance, why can they not afford food?
the old using benefits money for flat screen tv's, bluray players, booze fags and playstations argument..

I agree partially with what you say
Maybe as they are the group of society that spend and generate the economy and keep folk in work unlike the rich who stash there gains abroad.

They are also the group who pay alcohol duty, cigarette duty, vat and many other duties and taxes so think of the bigger picture as a great proportion of benefits goes straight back to the treasury.
[quote][p][bold]yabbadabbadoo256[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Quentin Walker[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Oxonian[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Quentin Walker[/bold] wrote: Food and shelter are two of the main elements of human survival. With the benefits system we have in place, I find it difficult to believe in the necessity for food banks. Could it be a lack of prioritisation of spending by the recipients?[/p][/quote]What an insensitive post! The inadequate benefits system that Quentin Walker praises is one of the reasons why food banks are needed: because many people cannot afford to pay for food as well as heating, rent, council tax, etc.[/p][/quote]I did not praise nor decry the benefits system. People on benefits receive financial help for all the expenses you quote. My point is that taking into account this assistance, why can they not afford food?[/p][/quote]the old using benefits money for flat screen tv's, bluray players, booze fags and playstations argument.. I agree partially with what you say[/p][/quote]Maybe as they are the group of society that spend and generate the economy and keep folk in work unlike the rich who stash there gains abroad. They are also the group who pay alcohol duty, cigarette duty, vat and many other duties and taxes so think of the bigger picture as a great proportion of benefits goes straight back to the treasury. pompeyfaith
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree