Health fears as one in 20 deaths linked to emissions

Witney Gazette: Smog hangs over Oxford last month Smog hangs over Oxford last month

ONE in 20 deaths in Oxfordshire is linked to air pollution, new Government figures have claimed.

Public Health England has identified long-term exposure to small particles in the air to 276 deaths in the county in 2010 – the most recent figures – although yesterday councillors and health experts were divided over how much pollution could be blamed.

The death rate of 5.6 per cent was on par with the South East average of 5.5 per cent. Public Health England said cutting emissions could see a reduction in this within five years.

Oxford City Council Green Party leader Craig Simmons said:“Early deaths caused by air pollution are a serious problem around the country and Oxford is one of those places.

“We’re very concerned about the air pollution levels, which is definitely enough to kill people.”

Mr Simmons said air pollution figures had worsened in the city but levelled out in rural areas since 2010.

He believes the approved Westgate Shopping Centre development would make it worse in the city because traffic would increase.

The city council’s latest figures in 2012 show that air pollution remains above the European Union’s target.

Oxfordshire County Council and Oxford City Council have worked together in tackling air pollution by introducing a low emission zone in January. It requires buses to comply with European standards for levels of nitrogen.

Oxford Bus Company has upgraded 36 per cent of its fleet to electric hybrids, which will cut fuel consumption and carbon dioxide emissions.

The county council has removed bus stops in Queen Street and says it promotes cycling and park and ride schemes, reducing traffic by a quarter in the past 20 years.

Oxfordshire public health consultant Eunan O’Neill said: “Air pollution and any deaths attributable to its effects is of concern but not a cause for alarm in Oxfordshire.

“The report does not mean people are dying of air pollution. Instead it tries to roughly estimate the tiny effect of air quality on the whole population and sweeps these tiny fractions together to come up with 276 as an answer – but the real figure might be only one-sixth of this.

“This result is on a par with neighbouring counties and what we would expect in a rural county with busy commercial centres.”

County council cabinet member for environment David Nimmo Smith said: “We’re doing everything we can but even one death is more than we would like to see.

“It’s a national issue, not just a local issue. Whatever we do locally has to be replicated nationally and vice-versa.”

Oxford City Council spokesman Chris Lee said pollution hot spots were limited to congested streets in the city centre.

He said: “Most healthy adults are unlikely to be significantly affected by the levels of air pollution normally found in Oxford. However, we know air quality needs to improve.

“We have worked hard with our partners to help improve air quality in the city and we will continue to work towards further improvements.”

PHE director of health protection and medical director Dr Paul Cosford said: “Policies that encourage a shift from motorised transport to walking and cycling would be expected to reduce total vehicle emissions, including particulate pollution.”

  • If you have lost a relative because of air pollution, please call Dan Robinson on 01865 425483.

Comments (23)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:39am Sat 12 Apr 14

Geoff Roberts says...

...and what about those of us not in the city centre (which is most of the actual residents of Oxford)?

Who is looking after us and our children's health?

In some places we are living right up against small busy roads which are often congested, you can see, taste and smell the pollution.

Meanwhile our government is allowing the situation to get worse by approving house building or free schools which rely on roads for people to get in and out of communities because local authorities have destroyed local communities so we have to commute.

Meanwhile the rich enjoy the luxury of the countryside whilst we're packed into an increasingly small space.
...and what about those of us not in the city centre (which is most of the actual residents of Oxford)? Who is looking after us and our children's health? In some places we are living right up against small busy roads which are often congested, you can see, taste and smell the pollution. Meanwhile our government is allowing the situation to get worse by approving house building or free schools which rely on roads for people to get in and out of communities because local authorities have destroyed local communities so we have to commute. Meanwhile the rich enjoy the luxury of the countryside whilst we're packed into an increasingly small space. Geoff Roberts
  • Score: 4

9:40am Sat 12 Apr 14

Geoff Roberts says...

And it's not just about death, it's about life, or at least, the quality of it.
And it's not just about death, it's about life, or at least, the quality of it. Geoff Roberts
  • Score: 6

10:12am Sat 12 Apr 14

rjwise says...

Bicester, the towns new-proposed park, the expected greatest use of the park, will coincide with the highest volume of traffic making its away along the road to Bicester Village, that runs alongside this selected location..

The close proximity of the car parking to the park will also add to high emissions and air pollution, with the towns young families the most exposed and vulnerable.

The visit to the town park should be a pleasurable experience for the whole family, without the worrying of what particulate emissions are attacking your children, remember Bicester Village have had their application for additional parking passed recently, hardly a effort to cut vehicle pollution on the part of Cherwell District Council.
Bicester, the towns new-proposed park, the expected greatest use of the park, will coincide with the highest volume of traffic making its away along the road to Bicester Village, that runs alongside this selected location.. The close proximity of the car parking to the park will also add to high emissions and air pollution, with the towns young families the most exposed and vulnerable. The visit to the town park should be a pleasurable experience for the whole family, without the worrying of what particulate emissions are attacking your children, remember Bicester Village have had their application for additional parking passed recently, hardly a effort to cut vehicle pollution on the part of Cherwell District Council. rjwise
  • Score: -1

10:54am Sat 12 Apr 14

Andrew:Oxford says...

Within a few years, the main rail line through Oxford will be electrified. Elderly diesel locomotives and DMU will be sent to the scrapyard or to remote parts of the country.

This means that the current practice of running diesel trains for hours in Jericho to maintain air pressure and hotel services will cease.

Not one "activist" has ever been prepared to say what change this will have on Oxford's air quality.
Within a few years, the main rail line through Oxford will be electrified. Elderly diesel locomotives and DMU will be sent to the scrapyard or to remote parts of the country. This means that the current practice of running diesel trains for hours in Jericho to maintain air pressure and hotel services will cease. Not one "activist" has ever been prepared to say what change this will have on Oxford's air quality. Andrew:Oxford
  • Score: -24

11:00am Sat 12 Apr 14

Dilligaf2010 says...

"The county council has removed bus stops in Queen Street".......
.......but placed loads all together at the top of St. Aldate's, there are times there's so many buses at the stops, waiting to get to the stops, or coming from the High Street, that traffic can't move.
There are too many buses, travelling too frequently, e.g. I was waiting on Speedwell Street, for the Oxford Tube to London, whilst waiting 2 double deckers to Wood Farm passed by within 30 seconds of each other........what's wrong with having buses every 15 or 20 minutes?
"The county council has removed bus stops in Queen Street"....... .......but placed loads all together at the top of St. Aldate's, there are times there's so many buses at the stops, waiting to get to the stops, or coming from the High Street, that traffic can't move. There are too many buses, travelling too frequently, e.g. I was waiting on Speedwell Street, for the Oxford Tube to London, whilst waiting 2 double deckers to Wood Farm passed by within 30 seconds of each other........what's wrong with having buses every 15 or 20 minutes? Dilligaf2010
  • Score: -5

11:14am Sat 12 Apr 14

Geoff Grace says...

Does the Cherwell council planning department conform to EU and UK laws to check that development does not cause pollution to exceed standards ?

NO
Does the Cherwell council planning department conform to EU and UK laws to check that development does not cause pollution to exceed standards ? NO Geoff Grace
  • Score: 5

12:17pm Sat 12 Apr 14

Lord Palmerstone says...

How much better it was in the 18th century when the only emissions were from horses and everyone was immortal.
Still we needn't worry too much about "The city council’s latest figures in 2012 show that air pollution remains above the European Union’s target. " because if we are wise when we vote in the European and General Elections we won't be under the Berlin-Paris Axis. Oh, I can feel my sinusitis lifting just at the thought of it.
How much better it was in the 18th century when the only emissions were from horses and everyone was immortal. Still we needn't worry too much about "The city council’s latest figures in 2012 show that air pollution remains above the European Union’s target. " because if we are wise when we vote in the European and General Elections we won't be under the Berlin-Paris Axis. Oh, I can feel my sinusitis lifting just at the thought of it. Lord Palmerstone
  • Score: -8

1:41pm Sat 12 Apr 14

rjwise says...

I say old chap, its a bit rich to log in as a Lord, i would have thought you been at home in the 18th century, you know with all this 21st technology about , who would have thought you need petrol and diesel fuelled engines, oh apart from those rather affluent oil corporation executives.

I suggest a glass of water to clear the mucus and a hearty rendition of the national anthem, should see you right.
I say old chap, its a bit rich to log in as a Lord, i would have thought you been at home in the 18th century, you know with all this 21st technology about , who would have thought you need petrol and diesel fuelled engines, oh apart from those rather affluent oil corporation executives. I suggest a glass of water to clear the mucus and a hearty rendition of the national anthem, should see you right. rjwise
  • Score: 1

3:06pm Sat 12 Apr 14

Danny3 says...

I'm for blocking all through traffic - ie, High St like restrictions (or stronger) to be applied to Longwall, Thames and Worcester streets, with exemptions only for local residents who can demonstrate need.
I'm for blocking all through traffic - ie, High St like restrictions (or stronger) to be applied to Longwall, Thames and Worcester streets, with exemptions only for local residents who can demonstrate need. Danny3
  • Score: 3

4:03pm Sat 12 Apr 14

JacobS says...

Lord Palmerstone wrote:
How much better it was in the 18th century when the only emissions were from horses and everyone was immortal.
Still we needn't worry too much about "The city council’s latest figures in 2012 show that air pollution remains above the European Union’s target. " because if we are wise when we vote in the European and General Elections we won't be under the Berlin-Paris Axis. Oh, I can feel my sinusitis lifting just at the thought of it.
Fine about lifting the Berlin-Paris axis, but I want to breathe clean air and be able to cycle in safety as well. Is that too much to ask?
[quote][p][bold]Lord Palmerstone[/bold] wrote: How much better it was in the 18th century when the only emissions were from horses and everyone was immortal. Still we needn't worry too much about "The city council’s latest figures in 2012 show that air pollution remains above the European Union’s target. " because if we are wise when we vote in the European and General Elections we won't be under the Berlin-Paris Axis. Oh, I can feel my sinusitis lifting just at the thought of it.[/p][/quote]Fine about lifting the Berlin-Paris axis, but I want to breathe clean air and be able to cycle in safety as well. Is that too much to ask? JacobS
  • Score: 3

4:17pm Sat 12 Apr 14

Lord Palmerstone says...

Geoff Roberts wrote:
...and what about those of us not in the city centre (which is most of the actual residents of Oxford)?

Who is looking after us and our children's health?

In some places we are living right up against small busy roads which are often congested, you can see, taste and smell the pollution.

Meanwhile our government is allowing the situation to get worse by approving house building or free schools which rely on roads for people to get in and out of communities because local authorities have destroyed local communities so we have to commute.

Meanwhile the rich enjoy the luxury of the countryside whilst we're packed into an increasingly small space.
It will come as a shock to you to know that the air of Kensington & Chelsea is not filtered by Nubian slaves for the benefit of the aspirational and successful. You, on the other hand, live in the Soviet of Oxford. Why not ring your commissar at home in his dacha this weekend and ask what he's doing for you?
[quote][p][bold]Geoff Roberts[/bold] wrote: ...and what about those of us not in the city centre (which is most of the actual residents of Oxford)? Who is looking after us and our children's health? In some places we are living right up against small busy roads which are often congested, you can see, taste and smell the pollution. Meanwhile our government is allowing the situation to get worse by approving house building or free schools which rely on roads for people to get in and out of communities because local authorities have destroyed local communities so we have to commute. Meanwhile the rich enjoy the luxury of the countryside whilst we're packed into an increasingly small space.[/p][/quote]It will come as a shock to you to know that the air of Kensington & Chelsea is not filtered by Nubian slaves for the benefit of the aspirational and successful. You, on the other hand, live in the Soviet of Oxford. Why not ring your commissar at home in his dacha this weekend and ask what he's doing for you? Lord Palmerstone
  • Score: -7

5:59pm Sat 12 Apr 14

Patrick, Devon says...

Andrew:Oxford wrote:
Within a few years, the main rail line through Oxford will be electrified. Elderly diesel locomotives and DMU will be sent to the scrapyard or to remote parts of the country.

This means that the current practice of running diesel trains for hours in Jericho to maintain air pressure and hotel services will cease.

Not one "activist" has ever been prepared to say what change this will have on Oxford's air quality.
I doubt if emissions from a few diesel trains amount to much, compared with the many thousands of car, bus and truck engines.

Rail electrification will make a welcome reduction (if the save Port Meadow lot dont moan about the view being spoiled by the catenary) but the increase in traffic to the station as a result of better train services will probably cancel it out.

Electrify the principal public transport mode, and it would make a double reduction, as it that would result in less cars too.

The air here in rural Devon is so clean that the road signs are covered in green algae!
[quote][p][bold]Andrew:Oxford[/bold] wrote: Within a few years, the main rail line through Oxford will be electrified. Elderly diesel locomotives and DMU will be sent to the scrapyard or to remote parts of the country. This means that the current practice of running diesel trains for hours in Jericho to maintain air pressure and hotel services will cease. Not one "activist" has ever been prepared to say what change this will have on Oxford's air quality.[/p][/quote]I doubt if emissions from a few diesel trains amount to much, compared with the many thousands of car, bus and truck engines. Rail electrification will make a welcome reduction (if the save Port Meadow lot dont moan about the view being spoiled by the catenary) but the increase in traffic to the station as a result of better train services will probably cancel it out. Electrify the principal public transport mode, and it would make a double reduction, as it that would result in less cars too. The air here in rural Devon is so clean that the road signs are covered in green algae! Patrick, Devon
  • Score: 3

11:41am Sun 13 Apr 14

Citizen Sunday says...

With an increasing incentive to move vehicles over to electric, coupled with continued advancements perfecting car-sensor/auto-brak
ing technology, cars and buses will be very clean and very safe indeed.

The only issue then would be pedestrian and cyclist error.
With an increasing incentive to move vehicles over to electric, coupled with continued advancements perfecting car-sensor/auto-brak ing technology, cars and buses will be very clean and very safe indeed. The only issue then would be pedestrian and cyclist error. Citizen Sunday
  • Score: 2

12:44pm Sun 13 Apr 14

Lord Palmerstone says...

Citizen Sunday wrote:
With an increasing incentive to move vehicles over to electric, coupled with continued advancements perfecting car-sensor/auto-brak

ing technology, cars and buses will be very clean and very safe indeed.

The only issue then would be pedestrian and cyclist error.
Surely the issue would be how you generate the electricity?. "Electric cars" are powered, inefficiently because of electricity transmission losses. principally by fossil fuel generated electricity.
[quote][p][bold]Citizen Sunday[/bold] wrote: With an increasing incentive to move vehicles over to electric, coupled with continued advancements perfecting car-sensor/auto-brak ing technology, cars and buses will be very clean and very safe indeed. The only issue then would be pedestrian and cyclist error.[/p][/quote]Surely the issue would be how you generate the electricity?. "Electric cars" are powered, inefficiently because of electricity transmission losses. principally by fossil fuel generated electricity. Lord Palmerstone
  • Score: -7

1:16pm Sun 13 Apr 14

Patrick, Devon says...

Lord Palmerstone wrote:
Citizen Sunday wrote:
With an increasing incentive to move vehicles over to electric, coupled with continued advancements perfecting car-sensor/auto-brak


ing technology, cars and buses will be very clean and very safe indeed.

The only issue then would be pedestrian and cyclist error.
Surely the issue would be how you generate the electricity?. "Electric cars" are powered, inefficiently because of electricity transmission losses. principally by fossil fuel generated electricity.
Enough solar energy falls on just one percent of the area of the Sahara to power the entire world. Science could deliver a solution, if the politics would allow.
[quote][p][bold]Lord Palmerstone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Citizen Sunday[/bold] wrote: With an increasing incentive to move vehicles over to electric, coupled with continued advancements perfecting car-sensor/auto-brak ing technology, cars and buses will be very clean and very safe indeed. The only issue then would be pedestrian and cyclist error.[/p][/quote]Surely the issue would be how you generate the electricity?. "Electric cars" are powered, inefficiently because of electricity transmission losses. principally by fossil fuel generated electricity.[/p][/quote]Enough solar energy falls on just one percent of the area of the Sahara to power the entire world. Science could deliver a solution, if the politics would allow. Patrick, Devon
  • Score: 3

4:13pm Sun 13 Apr 14

Citizen Sunday says...

Lord Palmerstone wrote:
Citizen Sunday wrote:
With an increasing incentive to move vehicles over to electric, coupled with continued advancements perfecting car-sensor/auto-brak


ing technology, cars and buses will be very clean and very safe indeed.

The only issue then would be pedestrian and cyclist error.
Surely the issue would be how you generate the electricity?. "Electric cars" are powered, inefficiently because of electricity transmission losses. principally by fossil fuel generated electricity.
For the moment perhaps, but give it time, wrinkles can be ironed...

Bare in mind a lot of big players (BP) have a vested interest keeping fossil fuel output high whilst ensuring (through share-holding) technological advancement for renewable energy is, how you say... 'regulated'- and have on occasion been quite vocal about NOT transferring over to the renewable energy sector too quickly as it could cause an "economic catastrophe".

Its a shame because I'm sure Patrick is right. As it stands, we have to glass over half the White Horse Vale just to power Marcham.
[quote][p][bold]Lord Palmerstone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Citizen Sunday[/bold] wrote: With an increasing incentive to move vehicles over to electric, coupled with continued advancements perfecting car-sensor/auto-brak ing technology, cars and buses will be very clean and very safe indeed. The only issue then would be pedestrian and cyclist error.[/p][/quote]Surely the issue would be how you generate the electricity?. "Electric cars" are powered, inefficiently because of electricity transmission losses. principally by fossil fuel generated electricity.[/p][/quote]For the moment perhaps, but give it time, wrinkles can be ironed... Bare in mind a lot of big players (BP) have a vested interest keeping fossil fuel output high whilst ensuring (through share-holding) technological advancement for renewable energy is, how you say... 'regulated'- and have on occasion been quite vocal about NOT transferring over to the renewable energy sector too quickly as it could cause an "economic catastrophe". Its a shame because I'm sure Patrick is right. As it stands, we have to glass over half the White Horse Vale just to power Marcham. Citizen Sunday
  • Score: 5

5:11pm Sun 13 Apr 14

crafty109 says...

oooooooooo scary scary!!! how about putting a stop to these bullsh/t surveys..........its just a way of lining someones pockets.....next year there will be a different story...............
..LIVING is fatal....we're all gonna die of summat.

stop eating butter it'll kill you....remember that one???? 30+ years that went on for ...now it turns out butter and margarine is the same................


Take asprin to stop heart attacks........ooooo
ps Wrong!! it seems it gives you heart attacks and strokes...........

Just live peeps...............
...
oooooooooo scary scary!!! how about putting a stop to these bullsh/t surveys..........its just a way of lining someones pockets.....next year there will be a different story............... ..LIVING is fatal....we're all gonna die of summat. stop eating butter it'll kill you....remember that one???? 30+ years that went on for ...now it turns out butter and margarine is the same................ Take asprin to stop heart attacks........ooooo ps Wrong!! it seems it gives you heart attacks and strokes........... Just live peeps............... ... crafty109
  • Score: -3

5:33pm Sun 13 Apr 14

Man on the Green says...

Oxfordshire County Council bosses chose to bury a devastating air quality report back in 2004 which predicted that pollution levels in Abingdon would not be improved by the proposed traffic scheme (AbITS), and then invented a completely non-existent Air Quality Steering Group which they claimed - in a report to the Secretary of State was working to reduce the levels of particulate matter, NOx and other airborne pollutants in Oxford, Witney, Abingdon, Henley, Wallingford, Botley and other parts of the county. Senior managers at the Council colluded with certain councillors in actively deceiving the Scrutiny Committee, by providing fabricated evidence and misleading commentary to deter members from exploring further claims made by residents that pollution levels would not be brought down to those required under EU Directives (which the UK was instrumental in formulating and having adopted). As a result Oxfordshire has lost out on millions of pounds of potential traffic infrastructure funding - but the selfsame officers still rake in their huge salaries and await their rolled gold pensions. It was hoped that Hudspeth would take steps to clear out the Augean stables and get rid of the Chief Executive and failing heads of service (most notably the head of Legal (sic) Services (sic) - a double misnomer!). But he has failed to live up to expectations and shown himself strikingly weak.

The County is ill-served by its public administrations and even more so by its elected representatives. They have all shown themselves totally unwilling (& or incapable) of doing anything at all to address the very real issues of urban pollution in the County.

Time for a change!
Oxfordshire County Council bosses chose to bury a devastating air quality report back in 2004 which predicted that pollution levels in Abingdon would not be improved by the proposed traffic scheme (AbITS), and then invented a completely non-existent Air Quality Steering Group which they claimed - in a report to the Secretary of State was working to reduce the levels of particulate matter, NOx and other airborne pollutants in Oxford, Witney, Abingdon, Henley, Wallingford, Botley and other parts of the county. Senior managers at the Council colluded with certain councillors in actively deceiving the Scrutiny Committee, by providing fabricated evidence and misleading commentary to deter members from exploring further claims made by residents that pollution levels would not be brought down to those required under EU Directives (which the UK was instrumental in formulating and having adopted). As a result Oxfordshire has lost out on millions of pounds of potential traffic infrastructure funding - but the selfsame officers still rake in their huge salaries and await their rolled gold pensions. It was hoped that Hudspeth would take steps to clear out the Augean stables and get rid of the Chief Executive and failing heads of service (most notably the head of Legal (sic) Services (sic) - a double misnomer!). But he has failed to live up to expectations and shown himself strikingly weak. The County is ill-served by its public administrations and even more so by its elected representatives. They have all shown themselves totally unwilling (& or incapable) of doing anything at all to address the very real issues of urban pollution in the County. Time for a change! Man on the Green
  • Score: 4

9:32am Tue 15 Apr 14

museli says...

Patrick, Devon wrote:
Lord Palmerstone wrote:
Citizen Sunday wrote:
With an increasing incentive to move vehicles over to electric, coupled with continued advancements perfecting car-sensor/auto-brak



ing technology, cars and buses will be very clean and very safe indeed.

The only issue then would be pedestrian and cyclist error.
Surely the issue would be how you generate the electricity?. "Electric cars" are powered, inefficiently because of electricity transmission losses. principally by fossil fuel generated electricity.
Enough solar energy falls on just one percent of the area of the Sahara to power the entire world. Science could deliver a solution, if the politics would allow.
One of the biggest moans from the renewables naysayers is that we can't store the energy for when we need it.

Small electric vehicle, easily interchangeable 'battery', spare left charging from home renewables ready for daily swap. Is this sort of solution really that difficult to design and mas produce?
[quote][p][bold]Patrick, Devon[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lord Palmerstone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Citizen Sunday[/bold] wrote: With an increasing incentive to move vehicles over to electric, coupled with continued advancements perfecting car-sensor/auto-brak ing technology, cars and buses will be very clean and very safe indeed. The only issue then would be pedestrian and cyclist error.[/p][/quote]Surely the issue would be how you generate the electricity?. "Electric cars" are powered, inefficiently because of electricity transmission losses. principally by fossil fuel generated electricity.[/p][/quote]Enough solar energy falls on just one percent of the area of the Sahara to power the entire world. Science could deliver a solution, if the politics would allow.[/p][/quote]One of the biggest moans from the renewables naysayers is that we can't store the energy for when we need it. Small electric vehicle, easily interchangeable 'battery', spare left charging from home renewables ready for daily swap. Is this sort of solution really that difficult to design and mas produce? museli
  • Score: 3

1:57pm Tue 15 Apr 14

silver_rocco says...

nearly all city pollution is from diesel engines, and why are electric cars so expensive nearly 30k for an electric golf or mini?
government and oil companies do not really care.
develop a decent electric family car under 14k not one of these joke
updated golf carts that are supposed to change what we drive.
nearly all city pollution is from diesel engines, and why are electric cars so expensive nearly 30k for an electric golf or mini? government and oil companies do not really care. develop a decent electric family car under 14k not one of these joke updated golf carts that are supposed to change what we drive. silver_rocco
  • Score: 0

9:43pm Wed 16 Apr 14

Dilligaf2010 says...

silver_rocco wrote:
nearly all city pollution is from diesel engines, and why are electric cars so expensive nearly 30k for an electric golf or mini?
government and oil companies do not really care.
develop a decent electric family car under 14k not one of these joke
updated golf carts that are supposed to change what we drive.
Electric cars are so expensive because, if they were reasonably priced, more people would buy them, and the cost of oil would plummet as a result.
The Government and oil companies don't want that to happen, because they'd lose a fortune in revenue.
Personally I'd like a Tesla Model S, but that would cost me over £100,000 :-)
[quote][p][bold]silver_rocco[/bold] wrote: nearly all city pollution is from diesel engines, and why are electric cars so expensive nearly 30k for an electric golf or mini? government and oil companies do not really care. develop a decent electric family car under 14k not one of these joke updated golf carts that are supposed to change what we drive.[/p][/quote]Electric cars are so expensive because, if they were reasonably priced, more people would buy them, and the cost of oil would plummet as a result. The Government and oil companies don't want that to happen, because they'd lose a fortune in revenue. Personally I'd like a Tesla Model S, but that would cost me over £100,000 :-) Dilligaf2010
  • Score: 0

7:25am Thu 17 Apr 14

Lord Palmerstone says...

Dilligaf2010 wrote:
silver_rocco wrote:
nearly all city pollution is from diesel engines, and why are electric cars so expensive nearly 30k for an electric golf or mini?
government and oil companies do not really care.
develop a decent electric family car under 14k not one of these joke
updated golf carts that are supposed to change what we drive.
Electric cars are so expensive because, if they were reasonably priced, more people would buy them, and the cost of oil would plummet as a result.
The Government and oil companies don't want that to happen, because they'd lose a fortune in revenue.
Personally I'd like a Tesla Model S, but that would cost me over £100,000 :-)
Dream on. Electric cars are incredibly polluting and essentially useless and there's NO conspiracy of pensioners who rely on oil share dividends in their pension funds against you.
[quote][p][bold]Dilligaf2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]silver_rocco[/bold] wrote: nearly all city pollution is from diesel engines, and why are electric cars so expensive nearly 30k for an electric golf or mini? government and oil companies do not really care. develop a decent electric family car under 14k not one of these joke updated golf carts that are supposed to change what we drive.[/p][/quote]Electric cars are so expensive because, if they were reasonably priced, more people would buy them, and the cost of oil would plummet as a result. The Government and oil companies don't want that to happen, because they'd lose a fortune in revenue. Personally I'd like a Tesla Model S, but that would cost me over £100,000 :-)[/p][/quote]Dream on. Electric cars are incredibly polluting and essentially useless and there's NO conspiracy of pensioners who rely on oil share dividends in their pension funds against you. Lord Palmerstone
  • Score: -2

7:28am Thu 17 Apr 14

Lord Palmerstone says...

Lord Palmerstone wrote:
Dilligaf2010 wrote:
silver_rocco wrote:
nearly all city pollution is from diesel engines, and why are electric cars so expensive nearly 30k for an electric golf or mini?
government and oil companies do not really care.
develop a decent electric family car under 14k not one of these joke
updated golf carts that are supposed to change what we drive.
Electric cars are so expensive because, if they were reasonably priced, more people would buy them, and the cost of oil would plummet as a result.
The Government and oil companies don't want that to happen, because they'd lose a fortune in revenue.
Personally I'd like a Tesla Model S, but that would cost me over £100,000 :-)
Dream on. Electric cars are incredibly polluting and essentially useless and there's NO conspiracy of pensioners who rely on oil share dividends in their pension funds against you.
In fact you probably hadn't noticed, but the oil co's supply the oil and gas that generates the leccy which the noddy cars use at 7% efficiency. D'oh
[quote][p][bold]Lord Palmerstone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Dilligaf2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]silver_rocco[/bold] wrote: nearly all city pollution is from diesel engines, and why are electric cars so expensive nearly 30k for an electric golf or mini? government and oil companies do not really care. develop a decent electric family car under 14k not one of these joke updated golf carts that are supposed to change what we drive.[/p][/quote]Electric cars are so expensive because, if they were reasonably priced, more people would buy them, and the cost of oil would plummet as a result. The Government and oil companies don't want that to happen, because they'd lose a fortune in revenue. Personally I'd like a Tesla Model S, but that would cost me over £100,000 :-)[/p][/quote]Dream on. Electric cars are incredibly polluting and essentially useless and there's NO conspiracy of pensioners who rely on oil share dividends in their pension funds against you.[/p][/quote]In fact you probably hadn't noticed, but the oil co's supply the oil and gas that generates the leccy which the noddy cars use at 7% efficiency. D'oh Lord Palmerstone
  • Score: -1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree