CHRISTMAS may be over but residents can do one more good deed before suffering the January blues.
Recycling points for Christmas trees have opened around Oxford to take real Christmas trees for re-use as bark chippings around the city’s open spaces.
The 17 chipping points will be open until Sunday January 19.
Homeowners throughout the county can also leave trees out next to bins, Oxfordshire County Council said.
Oxford City Council is also expecting a surge in the amount of waste put out by homes for its doorstop collection service.
Spokesman Louisa Dean said: “We always see extra recycling after Christmas as residents have a lot of wrapping paper to recycle as well as extra plastic bottles, glass bottles and jars from their Christmas and New Year dinners.”
Excess recycling can also be taken to waste recycling centres run by the county council.
Redbridge recycling centre waste management team member Matthew Beesley said: “We would urge people to take their recycling to one of our centres. They are there for people to take their old electrical items, Christmas trees, and wrapping paper.”
Rebecca Lake, spokesman for Oxfordshire Waste Partnership, which co-ordinates council recycling efforts, said: “Although we generate a lot of extra waste over Christmas, much of it is recyc-lable. We hope that we can continue to build on our excellent recycling rate and keep Oxfordshire top of the league.”
The county recycling centres are open from 8am until 5pm every day.
They are at Stratford Road in Alkerton, near Banbury; Ardley Fields in Brackley Road, Ardley; Dix at Linch Hill in Stanton Harcourt; Drayton in Steventon Road, near Abingdon; Oakley Wood in Old Icknield Way at Crowmarsh, near Wallingford; Redbridge in Old Abingdon Road, Oxford and Faringdon Road, Stanford in the Vale.
TAKE IT HERE
Christmas tree recycling points in Oxford:
- Alexandra Tennis Courts, Middle Way, Summertown
- Atkyns Road, Wood Farm
- Blackbird Leys Leisure Centre car park
- Blackbird Leys Park car park
- Bury Knowle Park, North Place car park
- Cutteslowe Park, Harbord Road car park
- Elizabeth Green, Westlands Drive, Northway
- Florence Park, Cowley
- Green Road, Risinghurst
- Hinksey Park, Abingdon Road
- Long Lane, Littlemore
- Manzil Way Gardens, Cowley Road
- Margaret Road Recreation Ground
- Meadow Lane Recreation Ground, Jackdaw Lane
- Oatlands Recreation Ground, Ferry Hinksey Road (car park)
- South Park, Morrell Avenue
- Sunnymead Recreation Ground, by play area