Get involved: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting 'OXFORD NEWS' to 80360 or email
Inquest opens on widow killed in Woodstock bungalow fire
Updated 10:58am Friday 10th January 2014 in Headlines
AN INQUEST was opened yesterday into the death of a 77-year-old woman who died in a house fire.
Valerie Ann James, a widowed nursing aids officer who lived alone, died on Saturday at her home in Green Lane, Woodstock.
She was identified using medical records. The cause of death was given as severe burns.
Oxfordshire Coroner Darren Salter said: “Neighbours across the street noticed the house fire at approximately 1am and dialled 999 to request the fire service. The flames were 10ft above the chimney.”
He added that the body of Mrs James was found in the living room later the same day once the fire had been extinguished.
The inquest was adjourned.