Milestone in reach for Oxford United at half-time

Witney Gazette: Oxford United will be in contention for automatic promotion if they can repeat their points haul in the second half of the season Oxford United will be in contention for automatic promotion if they can repeat their points haul in the second half of the season

THE first half of the season concludes tomorrow and Chris Wilder’s half-term report to his Oxford United players is simple – more of the same please.

While there has been the odd hiccup along the way, the U’s can look back on the season so far with satisfaction.

Like every club there is a frustration over results here and there not going their way, but a milestone can be reached with victory against Scunthorpe United tomorrow.

It would take them to 41 points for the first half of the season, effectively halfway to automatic promotion.

For the last ten seasons the average tally for third-placed teams in League Two is 82 points – with only two years where the team in fourth has finished above the mark.

Wilder would love to have built up a cushion, but is delighted with the return so far.

“If we replicate what we’ve done already in the second part of the season it would take us to 76 points, which firmly gets us in the play-offs,” he said.

“That woud be good, but ultimately we are after better.

“There’s still a lot of work to be done, but if we manage to get a win then simple maths says if we replicate the second part of the season that’s 82 points.

Related links

“That would represent a fantastic achievement and put us very close to automatic promotion.”

United’s pleasure at being in contention is in contrast to the mood at several clubs who were well backed in pre-season.

Wilder said: “I believe there are only so many teams who can go up from this position.

“There are big clubs that, unless they go on an absolutely outstanding run, will not be in the play-offs.

“You look at Northampton, Bristol Rovers, Portsmouth – they are big clubs in our league that won’t be involved in the shake-up.

“If we keep our nerve and the consistency we’ve shown all season, then we will.”

United’s success this season has been down to steady accumulation and they have not lost successive league games.

It means in the wake of Thursday’s 3-2 defeat to Plymouth, Wilder is not worried about his players delivering tomorrow.

He said: “I think they’ve been pretty consistent all the way through.

“That’s what gives me great encouragement that we’ll keep our heads down and go again against Scunthorpe.”

Comments (3)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:08pm Sat 28 Dec 13

Richard Wickson says...

Yes we will be halfway thru after tomorrow's game but even assuming we win and stand on 41 points it's not given that we will kick on and get 82 or it will be enough if we do. I remember in our relegation season to the conference we went down with more points than previously relegated teams had but we still went down. We must always have a Plan B because Plan A doesn't always work. It does worry me that far too often this club doesn't seem to have an effective fall back plan if the main plan doesn't work, it happens too often in games partly because we have too few (if any) game changers on the bench, we will need strengthening in January despite our reasonably decent season to date. This is the season when we want promotion, anything else will be a failure!
Yes we will be halfway thru after tomorrow's game but even assuming we win and stand on 41 points it's not given that we will kick on and get 82 or it will be enough if we do. I remember in our relegation season to the conference we went down with more points than previously relegated teams had but we still went down. We must always have a Plan B because Plan A doesn't always work. It does worry me that far too often this club doesn't seem to have an effective fall back plan if the main plan doesn't work, it happens too often in games partly because we have too few (if any) game changers on the bench, we will need strengthening in January despite our reasonably decent season to date. This is the season when we want promotion, anything else will be a failure! Richard Wickson

9:20pm Sat 28 Dec 13

Davos P says...

Richard Wickson wrote:
Yes we will be halfway thru after tomorrow's game but even assuming we win and stand on 41 points it's not given that we will kick on and get 82 or it will be enough if we do. I remember in our relegation season to the conference we went down with more points than previously relegated teams had but we still went down. We must always have a Plan B because Plan A doesn't always work. It does worry me that far too often this club doesn't seem to have an effective fall back plan if the main plan doesn't work, it happens too often in games partly because we have too few (if any) game changers on the bench, we will need strengthening in January despite our reasonably decent season to date. This is the season when we want promotion, anything else will be a failure!
I don't think anyone really believes there isn't a Plan B during games. You don't get to be a football manager for any length of time without having fall back options which I can remember being used on many occasions.
Agree that we do need a couple more players in the transfer window but I'd prefer to be positive about our chances this season and say we can duplicate the first half of the season. With a couple of extra players and those coming back from injury we could even exceed 84 points.
[quote][p][bold]Richard Wickson[/bold] wrote: Yes we will be halfway thru after tomorrow's game but even assuming we win and stand on 41 points it's not given that we will kick on and get 82 or it will be enough if we do. I remember in our relegation season to the conference we went down with more points than previously relegated teams had but we still went down. We must always have a Plan B because Plan A doesn't always work. It does worry me that far too often this club doesn't seem to have an effective fall back plan if the main plan doesn't work, it happens too often in games partly because we have too few (if any) game changers on the bench, we will need strengthening in January despite our reasonably decent season to date. This is the season when we want promotion, anything else will be a failure![/p][/quote]I don't think anyone really believes there isn't a Plan B during games. You don't get to be a football manager for any length of time without having fall back options which I can remember being used on many occasions. Agree that we do need a couple more players in the transfer window but I'd prefer to be positive about our chances this season and say we can duplicate the first half of the season. With a couple of extra players and those coming back from injury we could even exceed 84 points. Davos P

5:51pm Sun 29 Dec 13

Richard Wickson says...

Davos P wrote:
Richard Wickson wrote:
Yes we will be halfway thru after tomorrow's game but even assuming we win and stand on 41 points it's not given that we will kick on and get 82 or it will be enough if we do. I remember in our relegation season to the conference we went down with more points than previously relegated teams had but we still went down. We must always have a Plan B because Plan A doesn't always work. It does worry me that far too often this club doesn't seem to have an effective fall back plan if the main plan doesn't work, it happens too often in games partly because we have too few (if any) game changers on the bench, we will need strengthening in January despite our reasonably decent season to date. This is the season when we want promotion, anything else will be a failure!
I don't think anyone really believes there isn't a Plan B during games. You don't get to be a football manager for any length of time without having fall back options which I can remember being used on many occasions.
Agree that we do need a couple more players in the transfer window but I'd prefer to be positive about our chances this season and say we can duplicate the first half of the season. With a couple of extra players and those coming back from injury we could even exceed 84 points.
I gave you a thumbs up as I agree in part with what you say but beware of what you ask for. On the 1 st half of the seasons form we could be in contention with 3 or 4 games to go and if we repeat this form could be in the dredged 7th position again, and that's not acceptable! Today's game also proved beyond reasonable doubt that there is no plan B, the bench is too weak and the Manager doesn't have the nous to change players round on the pitch
[quote][p][bold]Davos P[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Richard Wickson[/bold] wrote: Yes we will be halfway thru after tomorrow's game but even assuming we win and stand on 41 points it's not given that we will kick on and get 82 or it will be enough if we do. I remember in our relegation season to the conference we went down with more points than previously relegated teams had but we still went down. We must always have a Plan B because Plan A doesn't always work. It does worry me that far too often this club doesn't seem to have an effective fall back plan if the main plan doesn't work, it happens too often in games partly because we have too few (if any) game changers on the bench, we will need strengthening in January despite our reasonably decent season to date. This is the season when we want promotion, anything else will be a failure![/p][/quote]I don't think anyone really believes there isn't a Plan B during games. You don't get to be a football manager for any length of time without having fall back options which I can remember being used on many occasions. Agree that we do need a couple more players in the transfer window but I'd prefer to be positive about our chances this season and say we can duplicate the first half of the season. With a couple of extra players and those coming back from injury we could even exceed 84 points.[/p][/quote]I gave you a thumbs up as I agree in part with what you say but beware of what you ask for. On the 1 st half of the seasons form we could be in contention with 3 or 4 games to go and if we repeat this form could be in the dredged 7th position again, and that's not acceptable! Today's game also proved beyond reasonable doubt that there is no plan B, the bench is too weak and the Manager doesn't have the nous to change players round on the pitch Richard Wickson

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree