Witney Mills’s game at home to Kimble was held up for 40 minutes following an horrific-looking injury to Malcolm Evans in Division 4.

The veteran Mills batsman suffered a double fracture of a cheekbone after colliding with his wicket-keeper Adam Mayho as both went for a high catch.

“Malcolm actually held the catch, but lost the ball following the collision,” said Witney captain Mike Dove.

The player was tended to on the pitch before the ambulance arrived inside ten minutes.

Evans, who plays for Oxfordshire Over 50s, was taken to the John Radcliffe Hospital.

He was released after treatment on Monday.

Dove added: “I was prepared to shake hands and concede the game, but the team insisted on playing on for Malcolm’s sake.”

Kimble, who would have been 6-3 had the catch been taken, in reply to Mills’s 176-9 from their 40 overs, played out for a draw on 63-3 off 22 overs.

Witney Mills 12pts, Kimble 4 Sandford St Martin 2nd edged to a one-wicket win at Buckingham Town 3rd in Division 7, thanks to an all-round show from Nathan Marsh.

Marsh took 3-50 as Bucking-ham were restricted to 153-8.

He then made 33 not out as Sandford took victory at 154-9.

Sandford 2nd 25, Buckingham 3rd 11 Shipton-under-Wychwood 3rd strolled to a six-wicket win at Kingston Bagpuize 2nd in Division 8.

Ali Wolfe took 3-39 as the hosts were skittled for 56, before Kingston took victory at 57-4.

Kingston 2nd 4, Shipton 3rd 25

The drinks were on evergreen Den Harvey as the Wit-ney Mills septuagenarian took remarkable figure of 6-3 for the 2nd XI away to Stokenchurch 2nd in Div-ision 9.

He used all his guile to mesmerise the home batsmen with his slow drifters, and they were soon back in the hutch for a paltry 108.

Only Peter Langford, ano-ther veteran, managed to defy him for any time, making a top score of 39.

Mills cruised to 111-2 when they replied, Robert Blundell leading the way with 40.

St’church 2nd 3, Witney Mills 2nd 25

Oxford Downs stayed bottom of Division 1 after their game at Buckingham was abandoned because of rain.

The visitors amassed a total of 146-6 in the 32nd over after being asked to bat, only for the match to be abandoned.

Will Watts (35) and James France (32) had both been caught behind off the bowling of seamer Wayne Platts (4-40) before heavy rain put paid to any further action.

Buckingham Town 6pts, Oxford Downs 6

Sandford St Martin returned to the top of Division 3 by beating Oxford Downs 2nd while morning leaders Great & Little Tew 2nd were being left frustrated by the weather.

Martin Anson claimed 4-22 as Sandford made the most of winning the toss by reducing Downs to 117-9 from their 40 overs.

Steve Roberts took 3-22 after the interval, but Chris Thompson’s unbeaten 47 steered the visitors to 120-7.

Oxford Downs 2nd 8pts, Sandford St Martin 25

Great & Little Tew 2nd felt hard done by the league’s rain rules when they came up short against Buckingham Town 2nd.

Town won the toss and used their full allocation of 40 overs – the minimum length of the first innings unless a team decides to declare – in reaching 141-9.

Michael Taylor top-scored with 35, while Josh Garrett (3-19) and Kevin Taylor (3-45) were the pick of the home attack.

Tew only had 15 overs in reply, but made a great fist of it as they reached 122-7, with Sam Smith smashing 33.

Saajan Patel picked up 3-8.

Great & Little Tew 2nd 8, Buckingham Town 2nd 12

Shipton-under-Wychwood 2nd had to be content with a draw at home to Didcot.

Ian Demain continued his good run with the ball by taking 5-42 in the home side’s 155-9 from 40 overs.

Jordan Morrison helped out with 3-52, while opener Jeremy Kirby made 55 and Ian Lewis cracked five fours and a six in a quickfire 37.

Didcot’s top order perished in pursuit of runs against veteran spinners Paul Hemming (4-30) and Anthony Prior-Wandesforde (3-46), and were deep in trouble on 94-8.

However, Ross Fryatt (35no) and Alex Rodman (19no) steered their side to 137-8 from 29 overs at the close.

Shipton-under-Wychwood 2nd 14, Didcot 8