A WOMAN fled from her home yesterday evening after her dishwasher caught fire.

Firefighters from Watlington were called to the house in Lewknor at 10.40pm after an electrical fault caused the household appliance to burst into flames.

ALSO READ: Didcot family flee after dishwasher goes up in flames

Luckily the fire was mainly confined to the kitchen as the woman shut the kitchen door as she left the house.

The crew wore breathing apparatus as they entered the house and put out the fire using a hose reel and a dry powder extinguisher.

Incident Commander Watch Manager, David King, from Watlington, praised the woman for her quick actions.

He said: "This has highlighted the importance of having a working smoke alarm in a property and the fire service mantra of get out, stay out, call us out."