A TOASTER malfunctioned and caught fire at a student block.

It was left unattended before it burst into flames and ‘severely damaged’ part of the shared kitchen.

Witney Gazette:

Firefighters from Oxford’s Slade Park and Rewley Road stations arrived within minutes to Windmill Road in Headington at 7pm yesterday.

Read more: Still 'loo-less' - one year on from the Blenheim Palace toilet theft. 

The kitchen was full of thick smoke, but fire doors had stopped it spreading to other halls.

Taking to Facebook, Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue said the ‘accident’ was a reminder of vital fire safety.

Witney Gazette:

It wrote: “This accidental fire really shows the importance especially in student accommodation of ensuring fire doors are kept clear and not wedged, knowing what to do and how to safely exit a building, and a fully working alarm system which prevented a much more significant fire.”