A GARAGE was destroyed after cigarette ash set fire to a pet bed. 

Residents made the grim discovery after their fire alarm started sounding and they saw smoke in the kitchen next door. 

The 999 call came in at around 6.15pm on Saturday night and teams from Witney and Rewley Road stations were first at the scene. 

Witney Gazette:

When they got to the house, in the Wood Green area, they found the fire quickly spreading in the adjoined garage. 

Firefighters put on specialist breathing equipment and used high pressured hose reels to put the fire out before there was any other damage. 

Witney Gazette:

Watch manager Glen Lee of Witney Fire Station said: "It is vital that smoking materials are disposed of properly and that they are fully extinguished before putting into the bin.

"On this oaccasion, the occupiers smoke detectors alerted them of the fire and they did the correct actions by dialling 999."