CHINNOR’S poor start to the season continued as they suffered a narrow 27-24 defeat at Leeds Tykes.

The Thame side piled on the pressure in the final minutes of the National League 1 fixture, but their opponents held firm.

Chinnor claimed two bonus points, but the latest loss leaves them 11th in the table heading into the division’s bye week.

A Tighe Maxwell-Whiteley penalty gave Leeds a 15th-minute lead, but the visitors responded through Ben Manning’s converted try.

Leeds opened up a 13-7 advantage, thanks to a Maxwell-Whiteley penalty and Ben Dixon’s converted try.

However, Chinnor closed to within a point at the break when hooker Mark Darlington burrowed over from close range.

Tykes pressure early in the second half resulted in their second try of the afternoon, Jake Brady forcing his way over and Maxwell-Whiteley adding the extras.

But the visitors again responded when Jason Worrall touched down as only three points separated the sides at 20-17.

That became 10, when Maxwell-Whiteley converted his own try, but back came Chinnor once more and tighthead Josh McNulty scored from close range – Tom Price adding the extras.

Henley Hawks returned empty-handed from Norfolk after losing 29-23 to North Walsham.

Henley were first on the scoreboard as Ewan Fenley scored under the posts after 10 minutes, with Max Titchener adding the extras.

Henley added via a Titchener penalty and a try from Alex Bradley.

North Walsham camped inside the Henley half, and were rewarded with a try.

READ MORE: Craig Short pays tribute after stadium tragedy in Indonesia

With the score at 15-7 in the visitors’ favour, a Henley attack once more produced a penalty from the boot of Titchener.

With a few minutes left to half-time, the hosts scored a converted try to reduce the arrears to four points at the break.

After 15 minutes of the second half, North Walsham took the lead for the first time as ineffective defence allowed them to cross out wide and Matt Hodgson extended their lead to three points.

A series of quickly recycled phases allowed Titchener to score out wide, but his conversion rebounded off the upright.

Error-strewn handling and too much kicking out of hand gave the initiative back to the home side, and they took full advantage with a converted try, before extending their lead with a penalty deep in injury time.

Oxford Quins went top of Regional 1 South Central after winning 46-29 at previous leaders Maidenhead. Banbury suffered a 46-17 defeat at Camberley.

Witney’s unbeaten start to the season in Regional 2 Tribute South Central continued with a 38-5 victory at home to Grove.

Bicester beat Gosford All Blacks 17-14 in an all-Oxfordshire clash in Counties 1 Tribute Southern North. Wallingford beat Bracknell II 27-7, while Chinnor III won 45-8 at Bletchley.