OXFORD United hit five past Oxford City as they claimed a comfortable victory in their first pre-season friendly.

The U’s were home and dry by half-time at Court Place Farm, responding to Zac McEachran’s stunning opener through two Cameron Brannagan goals and strikes from James Henry and Sam Long.

Both managers rang the changes at the break, with Latrell Ewers-Humphrey again scoring early for City before Marcus Browne fired an emphatic fifth.

The scoreline was perhaps expected with United having much more contact time ahead of the pre-season opener and they finished both halves strongly.

Every U’s player except Alex Gorrin was involved, with the Spanish midfielder not risked on City’s artificial pitch as he continues his comeback from an anterior cruciate ligament injury.

Former Coventry City winger Jodi Jones joined United’s pre-season training camp in Spain but was also protected due to past knee problems.

City’s squad included eight trialists, with four playing in each half, while new signing Andre Burley came on at the break.

Conditions were very different to those United experienced in Spain, but the rain stopped as Zach Lewis – son of Oxfordshire football legend Micky – led the teams onto the pitch.

City snapped into the tackles early on and opened the scoring with a sensational strike.

Long was dispossessed on United’s right and the hosts moved the ball inside to McEachran, who took a touch and fired a rocket past Simon Eastwood from 20 yards.

City were doing all the pressing in the early stages, only for the U’s to give them a taste of their own medicine after 13 minutes.

Dudzinski collected a backpass near the corner flag and was forced into a hurried clearance, passing straight to Brannagan 35 yards out. The midfielder kept his cool to curl the ball into the far corner of the empty net.

United took the lead five minutes later as Long claimed his first assist of the evening. The right back curled a delicious cross towards the edge of the six-yard box and, with two teammates queuing up behind him, Henry headed home.

City started to tire and the U’s asserted their authority, Sam Baldock leading from the front with his energetic pressing.

Brannagan scored his second 11 minutes before the break, with Long again grabbing the assist.

The City defence hesitated as the defender’s cross from deep fell out of the sky and the U’s No 8 tucked away the volley.

Both players were involved once more four minutes later as United made it 4-1. Brannagan flighted a corner towards Elliott Moore, who headed goalwards for Long to swivel and fire low into the net.

It was all change for both sides at the break, with Ben Davis the only man in yellow or blue and white to stay on the pitch.

City again started brightest and again scored in the fifth minute of the half. Ewers-Humphrey looked particularly lively and showed great composure to curl into the far corner from just inside the penalty area.

Joe Iaciofano thudded an effort against the post from a similar position moments later, before Billy Bodin scooped wide after being played in by Marcus McGuane.

The goals kept coming as Browne got in on the act with a clinical finish, creating a yard of space with a stepover and drilling low past City stopper Alex Grantham.

Yoav Sade replaced Davis midway through the half, with Gatlin O'Donkor coming on for Owens in the closing stages.

Browne showed his class again late on as he brought Oisin Smyth’s raking pass under his spell in full flight, but the forward was crowded out as the City defence prevented a wonder goal.

Oxford City - first half (3-5-2): Dudzinski, Nenonen-Millar, Carroll, Trialist, Trialist, Ashby, McEachran, D Stokoe, Trialist, Trialist, Muchechetere.

Oxford City – second half (3-5-2): Grantham, Burley, Trialist, Rowan, Trialist, Fleet, Ewers-Humphrey, L Stokoe, Trialist, Iaciofano, Trialist.

Booked: None.

Oxford United – first half (4-3-3): Eastwood, Long, Moore, Golding, Seddon, Henry, Johnson, Brannagan, Goodrham, Baldock, Davis.

Oxford United – second half (4-3-3): Stevens, Forde, Mousinho, Brown, Owens (O’Donkor 80), Smyth, Bodin, McGuane, Davis (Sade 69), Taylor, Browne.

Unused subs: Davis-Stephenson, Tiamuna.

Booked: None.

Referee: Tom Kelly.

Attendance: 1,118.