LEIGH Bedwell’s late penalty save proved crucial as Didcot Town beat Oxfordshire rivals Thame United 1-0 on Saturday.

The two teams went into the

Evo-Stik South League Division 1 Central clash in the play-off positions.

But David Murphy’s ninth minute goal proved the difference as visitors Didcot leapfrogged Thame to go fourth in the table.

Murphy was in the right place to convert Greg Hackett’s pass.

There was little between the sides, but Thame began to get on top after the break in their bid to get back into the game.

They hit the post on 73 minutes, before being handed a golden opportunity to level in controversial circumstances.

Although there were no appeals for a penalty, the referee pointed to the spot in the 81st minute and booked Didcot goalkeeper Bedwell for a foul.

But he made immediate amends with a super save, denying Dan West.

Didcot then saw out time to record a vital victory.

Struggling North Leigh battled hard to pick up a point in a 1-1 home draw against play-off hopefuls Berkhamsted.

The visitors were on top early on, twice spurning great chances.

They took the lead after 55 minutes with a cool finish from Will Summerfield.

But the Millers levelled just four minutes later, George Seacole netting from close range after Henry Landers’s diverted shot for a share of the spoils

Kidlington fell to a seventh successive league defeat, losing 4-2 at promotion-chasing Sutton Coldfield Town.

The basement side went behind on 14 minutes when Ryan Nesbitt netted, but levelled on 22 minutes when Marvin Martin fired home from distance.

Nesbitt scored his second four minutes after half-time and James Beresford made it 3-1 17 minutes from time.

Anaclet Odhiambo fired home two minutes from time to give Kidlington a glimmer of hope, but as they pushed everyone forward, Nesbitt broke clear in injury time to complete his hat-trick.

Banbury United made it five successive home wins with a 4-2 victory over Coalville Town.

Mike Ford’s side led 3-0 at the break after a superb first-half display in the Premier Central clash.

They took the lead through Giorgio Rasulo’s 16th-minute penalty after Greg Kaziboni was tripped.

Kaziboni made it 2-0 four minutes later and Ravi Shamsi hit No 3 five minutes before the break.

Lee Henderson scored Banbury’s fourth on 65 minutes, and although the visitors hit back through Alex Dean and Tim Berridge in the final ten minutes, Banbury had done enough.