FIREFIGHTERS had to break into a house and wake up the resident after their fire alarm worried the neighbours. 

Yesterday morning crews from Abingdon Station raced to a first floor flat after 999 calls of a fire alarm sounding. 

When they arrived a neighbour said they had been woken up by the alarm sounding next door. 

Read more: Farmer praised for leaving combine harvester on fire

They broke into the house, woke the resident up and turned off the oven and ventilator with a fan. 

Taking to Facebook, Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue said: "Having working smoke alarms will save lives.

"As you can see the cause was burnt food, please take care when cooking and never leave it unattended."