Sir – Please convey my hearty congratulations to some wonderful individuals through your newspaper.

As a local bookseller, and regular resident of the Witney Saturday market for some years, I cannot speak highly enough of the council and many of its staff who have helped enormously during the resurfacing of Market Square and the subsequent relocation of traders throughout the town.

When we found out that they were to be moved from the square to unfamiliar surroundings, all traders were concerned and possibly a little terrified that business could be adversely affected.

However, although a few of my fellow traders were affected, particularly those who were relocated furthest from the town centre, may I say that the council officials who handled both the relocation and the subsequent relaunch which took place on Saturday were not only supportive but highly professional, sympathetic and efficient too.

We were told to expect the relocation to last for six weeks and it did so and not a minute more, and then on Saturday past, a very entertaining relaunch took place in the square and we were treated to wonderful music and delightful exposure and limelight which included a beautiful vintage car.

We always find it easy to criticise or malign the council, so it gives me great pleasure to thank Bill Oddie and Ron Spurs from the council and all their team for their efforts regarding the markets.

I would also like to thank the people who have collected the rents and the lads who have collected the litter too as they have been equally important.

Lastly, regarding Saturday’s relaunch, can I also thank Councillor Harvey for his presence and his kind words and the two young Henry Box ‘Indie’ musicians who kept us so regally entertained.

D Hazell (Mr), Common Road, North Leigh