A WITNEY town councillor said she was “appalled” at a report which shows a hall that has been open for three years is not complying with health and safety regulations.

Chrissie Curry made the comments at Witney Town Council’s public halls committee after a health and safety inspection by contractors GH Safety last month uncovered the issues at Madley Park Hall in Northfield Farm Lane.

She said there had been little improvement since an inspection a year ago.

The council owns the community hall, which cost £900,000 and opened in 2011, but it is run by the Madley Park Hall Trust.

The report by facilities supervisor Mervyn Hudson showed that a rear safety gate was left open after an alarm test, the first aid kit was depleted with no sign indicating where it was located, there was no fire extinguisher in the main hall, plaster was damaged and electrical sockets were cracked.

Ms Curry said: “I’m really concerned that no actions have been speedily taken. No proper care is taken of the hall.”

Committee chairman Roger Curry said: “It’s slightly over the top and nitpicking but that’s what health and safety is about. I wouldn’t say there’s anything there which means we’re going to close the hall.”

Facilities manager Claire Swan said it would help to have caretakers to look after the hall.


  • Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS, SPORT and JAYDEN depending on what services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.

Our top stories